Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Simple, delicious brownies

Simple, delicious brownies / Brownies simples e deliciosos

I once subscribed to a DVD delivery service and at first it sounded like a very good idea: it would be a matter of logging in to the website, choosing a movie to watch and the DVD would be sent to your house. Easy peasy.

That was before Netflix, for the young ones reading me right now. :D

After a while, however, I realized that the service was not all that: the movie I actually wanted to watch at that moment was hardly ever available, so they would send me the following movies on my list, which was not always OK since there were days I wanted to watch a drama and a comedy got delivered to my doorstep (and the other way around). Or like the day I was feeling miserable and wanted something to cheer me up and they sent me Heavenly Creatures. :S

All that to tell you that although I am someone who will choose a lemon or fruit dessert over a chocolate one any day, there are occasions I want something specifically chocolatey, to the point of being almost sinful. These brownies, despite being super easy to make, are really tasty and have a wonderful texture to boot. They are every bit what I wanted on the day I made them, and I can guarantee they go well with either drama or comedies. :)

Simple, delicious brownies
slightly adapted from the beautiful Treats

150g unsalted butter, room temperature, cubed
150g dark chocolate, finely chopped – I used one with 70% cocoa solids
1 ¼ cups (250g) granulated sugar
½ cup (88g) light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup + 1 tablespoon (150g) all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon table salt

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly butter a 20cm (8in) square pan, line it with foil leaving an overhang on two opposite sides and butter the foil as well.

In a large bowl, melt the butter and chocolate over a saucepan of simmering water, ensuring that the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Remove the bowl from the heat and cool slightly.

Whisk in the sugar, then the eggs, one at a time. Whisk in the vanilla. Sift flour and salt over mixture and fold in with a spatula. Do not overmix. Transfer batter to the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the sides and top are set and the center still moist.

Cool completely in the pan over a wire rack. Cut into squares. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.

Makes 16

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails